Jnews is about news!

Warner ends bid to have captaincy ban lifted to avoid ‘further trauma’ for family, mates

David Warner has withdrawn his bid to have his lifetime captaincy ban lifted, accusing the independent panel conducting the review of wanting to publicly lynch him.

In a bombshell development on the eve of the Adelaide Test, Warner also claimed counsel assisting the review had made offensive and unhelpful comments about him during the initial process. 

In a lengthy 793-word statement posted on his Instagram page, Warner revealed he had applied to have his leadership ban lifted a fortnight ago.

Under the belief the review would centre more on his own growth since the 2018 ball-tampering saga, Warner said he was dismayed to be told the review would include a cross-examination on the issue.

The 36-year-old claimed he had the support of Cricket Australia to not have that process go ahead during his application, but was on Wednesday told his push had been rejected.

“In effect, counsel assisting, and, it appears, to some extent the review panel, want to conduct a public trial of me and what occurred during the Third Test at Newlands,” Warner said.

“They want to conduct a public spectacle to, in the panel’s words, have a “cleansing”. I am not prepared for my family to be the washing machine for cricket’s dirty laundry.

“And the review panel appears determined to expose me and my family to further humiliation and harm by conducting a media circus.”

According to a statement released by CA last month after nine months of pushing for change, players and staff could have long-term sanctions reviewed by a three-person review panel, comprising independent code-of-conduct commissioners.

Warner himself also pointed to Article 10.7 of the code, which he claimed stated “that the hearing is not an appeal of the original decision or a new review of the offence”.

In turn, the opener claimed the panel had little regard for his or his teammates’ welfare in wanting to re-open the case.

“It appears that the panel has given no more than passing consideration to issues of player welfare and the interests of Australian cricket and is instead determined to conduct a public lynching,” Warner wrote.

Warner said he felt he had no choice but to drop his application, ending his hopes of ever captaining Australia or a domestic team in the country again.

“Regrettably, I have no practical alternative at this point in time but to withdraw my application,” Warner said. 

“I am not prepared to subject my family or my teammates to further trauma and disruption by accepting a departure from the way in which my application should be dealt with pursuant to the Code of Conduct.

“Some things are more important than cricket.”

CLICK HERE for a seven-day free trial to watch international cricket on KAYO

In his statement, Warner also claimed the counsel assisting in the matter had since been terminated.

The Sydneysider however remained adamant he had rehabilitated significantly since the ball-tampering saga and he also had deep regret and remorse.

“Since that Test and even though my ban from leadership roles may never be lifted, I have taken it upon myself to reform, to rehabilitate and to transform my approach to the game,” he said.

Here is Warner’s complete staterment:

“My family is more important to me than cricket.

“Over the course of the past nearly five years since the events that occurred during the Third Test in Cape Town, even with all the humiliation and attacks that they have had to endure, I have enjoyed the unwavering support and love of my wife Candice and my three daughters, Ivy Mae, Indi Rae, and Isla Rose. They are my world.

“Since that Test and even though my ban from leadership roles may never be lifted, I have taken it upon myself to reform, to rehabilitate and to transform my approach to the game.

David Warner looks on during an Australian Ashes squad training session at Sydney Cricket Ground on January 04, 2022 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

(Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

“I have served and been subject to a crushing, unprecedented, penalty that has horribly impacted me and my family for the past nearly five years – without the prospect of any relief until now.

“On 21 November 2022, the Cricket Australia Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel (the Code of Conduct) was amended to permit players to apply for a modification to Long-Term Sanctions.

“With the announcement of the amendment to the Code of Conduct, I held the hope and was encouraged, that I would be given a proper opportunity to demonstrate to the Review Panel that I have demonstrated my deep regret and remorse; and that my rehabilitation and transformation are profound.

“With the encouragement of administrators and colleagues and in accordance with the rules under the Code of Conduct, on 25 November 2022 I submitted an application to Cricket Australia for a modification to my lifetime ban from leadership positions in cricket. I did so in good faith on the understanding that regular established procedures under the Code of Conduct would be followed.

Australia’s David Warner (R) speaks with assistant coach Michael Di Venuto (L) during a practice session at the Adelaide Oval ahead of the second cricket Test match against the West Indies in Adelaide on December 7, 2022. (Photo by William WEST / AFP)
Australia’s David Warner (R) speaks with assistant coach Michael Di Venuto (L) during a practice session at the Adelaide Oval ahead of the second cricket Test match against the West Indies in Adelaide on December 7, 2022. (Photo by William WEST / AFP)
Source: AFP
“I hoped I would be given the opportunity, under the established practice and procedure of the Code of Conduct that is reflected in the amendments, to demonstrate that I have satisfied the necessary requirements for a modification to my ban and that I might be permitted to see out the balance of my career without the yoke hanging around my neck and further anguish for my family.

“However, despite my opposition and that of Cricket Australia, on Tuesday last week Counsel Assisting the Review Panel and the Review Panel took it upon themselves to concoct an irregular procedure (overturning presumptions and previous practice) for the determination of my application and establish a novel approach that would negatively impact the health and welfare of my family and the interests of the Australian cricket team.

“In his submissions, Counsel Assisting made offensive and unhelpful comments about me that had absolutely no substantive purpose under the Code of Conduct.

“Regrettably, the Review Panel acted contrary to the submissions of Cricket Australia and my lawyer and appeared to adopt virtually entirely the position of Counsel Assisting.

“In effect, Counsel Assisting, and, it appears, to some extent the Review Panel, want to conduct a public trial of me and what occurred during the Third Test at Newlands. They want to conduct a public spectacle to, in the Panel’s words, have a “cleansing”. I am not prepared for my family to be the washing machine for cricket’s dirty laundry.

“The Rules of the Code of Conduct in relation to applications such as mine are clear. Article 10.7 states that the hearing is not an appeal of the original decision or a new review of the offence.

“Counsel Assisting the Review Panel appeared to be determined to revisit the events of March 2018 and the Review Panel appears determined to expose me and my family to further humiliation and harm by conducting a media circus.

Stars turn to Adam Zampa for leader role | 00:43
“I note that the engagement of Counsel Assisting was terminated. Nonetheless, following the curiously irregular position adopted by the Review Panel, and in the interests of my family and Australian cricket, last Thursday I submitted a request for the Review Panel to revisit their procedural decision and at least apply a protocol that is consistent with established practice and procedure under the Code of Conduct. That request had the support of Cricket Australia.

“Having had nearly a week to consider that proposal, today the Review Panel has decided to ignore the request in any meaningful way and has provided a dismissive rejection of the substantive matters. It appears that the Panel has given no more than passing consideration to issues of player welfare and the interests of Australian cricket and is instead determined to conduct a public lynching.

“Regrettably, I have no practical alternative at this point in time but to withdraw my application. I am not prepared to subject my family or my teammates to further trauma and disruption by accepting a departure from the way in which my application should be dealt with pursuant to the Code of Conduct.

“Some things are more important than cricket.”

© AAP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *