By Majella Taylor, New Openings Editor, H&C News: Maddox Tavern to launch in Mayfair 7 July.
Once the Cooling Lawrence & Sons gentlemen’s outfitters, who counted Winston Churchill as a regular customer, the impressive 19th century Grade II listed building in Maddox Street, Mayfair, was most recently Brown’s restaurant. Roger Payne of the Enhanced Hospitality group acquired the site earlier this year, and following a sensitive interior restoration, Maddox Tavern will launch on 7 July 2022.
The all-day British brasserie will be open daily for breakfast through to lunch, drinks and dinner. The menu of elevated British classics will also incorporate some contemporary elements. The wide range of dishes will mean that customers will be satisfied throughout the day with choices for a business breakfast, a quick drink and snack, or a full meal with wine. There will be a set lunch menu (£ 30 for two courses) available daily, with traditional roasts on Sunday.
The all-day à la carte menu will feature the following highlights:
- English shellfish cocktail (lobster, crayfish, lemongrass mayonnaise)
- Venison carpaccio with pineapple chutney
- Pan-fried foie gras with baby leeks & toasted brioche
- London Cure smoked salmon
- Pan-fried scallops with samphire & pureed cauliflower
- Maddox fish pie with gratinated mustard mash
- Te Mana glazed lamb rack, artichokes & charcoal calcot onions
- Middle White pork sausages with olive oil mash
- Herb-crusted free range chicken breast with beefsteak mushrooms
- Steaks – fillet, rib eye, sirloin, as well as larger cuts to share
- (Note – all meat supplied by Huntham Court Farm in Herefordshire)
- Lemon posset, seasonal berry compote
- Dark chocolate tart, burnt caramelised banana, honeycomb
Breakfast will be served in the Tavern area (at the front of the restaurant) and will cover healthy options, as well as start-the-day traditional dishes, along with homemade pastries.
Typical items will include:
- The Maddox Full House
- Lobster Benedict
- Soufflé Omelette
- Benedict Waffle
- Smoked haddock
- Blackberry chia set pot
- Almond milk porridge
In the Tavern area, a menu of ‘Light Bites’ and sharing boards will be a draw, alongside the full drinks list, available from 11.30pm daily. This will include:
- Prawn popcorn
- Mature cheddar croquettes
- Long Horn sirloin steak sandwich
- Traditional fish & chips
- Coronation salad
- Sharing boards (whether Meat, Vegetarian, or Cheese from £ 14.50)
Additionally, the wine list will feature 75 bins (from £ 28 bottle, and £ 7 glass), with an emphasis on western Europe, and also a separate fine wine selection. The company’s head of drinks, Tony Vega, has devised a cocktail list that mixes the classics with some contemporary options (from £ 10), such as the New Bond Sour (Beefeater, chartreuse, lemon, mango, egg white and bitters) and the Mezcal Negroni (Koch Espadin, Campari, Rubino vermouth and roasted chilli).
The Head Chef at Maddox Tavern is Jon Grimes, who has a broad background, including at Kobe Jones in Bromley, Aqua Kyoto and Gilgamesh (now closed). Restaurant Manager Denva Pierre previously worked at several of Gordon Ramsay’s Maze restaurants, most recently at Gordon Ramsay Bar & Grill in Mayfair.
Features of the restored restaurant interior include rich impressive mahogany throughout, a mezzanine accessed by stairways with intricate wrought-iron railings, Versailles parquet flooring, and a copper-topped bar. There is seating for up to 120, spread out through the different sections. There are four private dining rooms, seating from five to 12.
Address: 47 Maddox Street, Mayfair, London W1S 2PG
Reservations: 020-3376 9922 Website: www.maddoxtavern.co.uk Instagram: @maddoxtavern
Open daily from 8.30am-11.30am for breakfast; Noon — 4pm for lunch; 5 pm-Midnight for dinner (Sunday-Thursday; last orders 10.30pm, and until 12.30am on Friday / Saturday). The bar is open throughout the day from Noon.