Jnews is about news!

Locked up in 2021: The North East criminals jailed for shocking crimes in the past year

These are the crooks who earned themselves jail time this year for some abhorrent crimes.

Over the past 12 months, North East judges have heard numerous shocking and distressing cases of violence and dishonesty.

Criminals have appeared before our courts for offences including rape, serious assault, dangerous driving, robbery, burglary and sex offences.

Go here for the latest reports and live updates from North East courts

Here, we take a look at some of the North East offenders who were locked up in 2021.


Christopher Stuart:

Notorious conman Christopher Stuart has been imprisoned for cheating taxi drivers yet again.

Stuart is banned from using taxis on Tyneside after racking up more than 50 convictions for making off without payment, as well as 11 for theft, in the past few years.

But he has been back up to his old tricks – even conning drivers out of further money by asking for change of £20 notes.

After getting them to give him lifts, often to buy drugs, he left without paying the fare or giving them the £20 back.

Now the 31-year-old, of Turbinia Gardens, High Heaton, Newcastle, has been jailed for 16 months for breaching his criminal behaviour order, theft and making off without payment.

Leon Calhoun:

Leon Calhoun

Scheming Leon Calhoun told a besotted student he was a homeowner who managed a hair salon and had a daughter – when in fact he was a jobless rapist with no children who was about to steal her savings.

When the vulnerable young woman met Calhoun during a night out and started a relationship with him, she had no idea of his dark past.

Calhoun was known as Leon Love when he was jailed for nine years in 2013 for rape and a sexual assault.

But after getting out of prison, he changed his name and after meeting the student he concocted a completely fake background, Newcastle Crown Court was told.

The relationship started in September 2019, with Calhoun staying at her home, where she lived with her parents and younger brother.

After winning her trust and affection, Calhoun managed to extract £9,000 from her by way of a “loan” he said he needed to furnish his house while he waited for an inheritance.

After he admitted having told lies, she gave him a month to repay it and said she would go to the police if he didn’t.

The court heard the money stolen was savings the victim had from her disability benefits and student support funds.

The court heard Calhoun, 34, of Salvin Street, Croxdale, Durham, was released from his rape sentence in July 2017 but failed to comply with his notification requirements and was sent back to prison before being released again in June 2018.

He pleaded guilty to fraud and breaching his sex offender notification requirements by staying over at the victim’s home.


Tremayne Williams:

Tremayne Williams

Fraudster Tremayne Williams told bank staff he was a hostage who was being forced to carry out a con.

Williams went into the NatWest branch in Newcastle city centre in November last year and told the bank teller he had been ordered to fraudulently withdraw cash from a business account.

A court heard the 42-year-old fraudster told staff “two men were waiting outside” and he “needed help”.

Williams was initially treated as a victim of crime and offered help by the police, who later found out he had used the stolen identity of a man from the Chester-le-Street area to try and buy a Rolex watch worth over £29,000.

Newcastle Crown Court was told Williams had taken an American Express card out using the victim’s details and splashed out on more than £2,000 worth of property before trying to make the £29,350 purchase, which was declined.

And when police searched his home they found eight bank and credit cards, two identity cards, four driving licences, two card readers, two chip and pin readers and a passport belonging to a Sunderland University student that had been stolen during a break-in.

Williams, of High Quay, Newcastle, admitted two offences of fraud, one of making articles for use in fraud, handling stolen goods and possessing articles for use in fraud.

He was jailed for 22 months at Newcastle Crown Court.

Craig Shackleton:

Craig Shackleton has been jailed for raping a 12-year-old girl, a crime members of his family tried to cover up.

A court heard they then set about perverting the course of justice to try to help undermine the child’s credibility.

But the 29-year-old, of Ladykirk Road, Benwell, Newcastle, was convicted of three counts of rape of a child after a trial and has now been sentenced to 12 years in prison.

His mother, Janet Burton, 56, and sister, Samantha Shackleton, 18, were given suspended sentences after pleading guilty to perverting justice.

The sexual offending came to light when the girl’s dad was using his mobile phone and received notifications of Facebook messages meant for his daughter, as she had been logged in on his device, Newcastle Crown Court heard,

He saw messages between the girl and Shackleton and noticed kisses at the end of them and that they were telling each other they loved each other.

To his horror, he then saw a message indicating they had been having sex and subsequently discovered Shackleton was a man in his 20s.

The police were involved and this led on to the discovery of other evidence against Shackleton showing he was in a sexual relationship with the girl.

As well as being jailed for 12 years Shackleton will have an additional year on licence and is subject to an indefinite restraining order to protect the victim. He will also be on the sex offenders register and subject to a sexual harm prevention order, both indefinitely.

When the allegations were made against Shackleton, and Burton and Samantha Shackleton found out, they set about trying to help him.

Police were told the Shackleton family were in possession of Facebook messages from the girl in which she appeared to admit she had lied about the allegations.

The faked messages included the victim purportedly saying she made up the allegations because her friends dared her to and that “I know Craig wouldn’t anything like that he’s a canny lad.”

Prosecutors said Burton and Samantha Shackleton provided the messages to the police with the intention of misleading the police into believing that the girl had confessed that her allegations were false, when they were not and she had not.

The prosecution was unable to say who the author of the messages was – whether the two women contrived to create the messages or whether a third party created them and the defendants provided them to the police knowing them to be untrue.

Burton, of Ladykirk Road, Benwell, was sentenced to eight months suspended for 12 months and Samantha Shackleton, of Ladykirk Road, Benwell, got four months suspended for 12 months. Both were also given restraining orders to protect the victim.

Locked up in February 2021: Terrifying violence and shameful sex offending among the crimes to put these crooks behind bars


Harindapan Gill:

Harindapan Gill

Dad Harindapan Gill tried to get an 11-year-old girl to have sex with her dog during shocking online chats.

Married Gill posed as a 13-year-old boy on social media and began talking to what he thought was a young girl from Newcastle called Faye.

In fact, the profile was being run by a paedophile hunter group called Angels of Innocence and even they were left sickened by his extreme requests on the Chat Avenue site on Valantine’s Day 2019.

The 32-year-old, who did later reveal his true age, quickly turned the conversation sexual and bullied the child by calling her names such as “scared little girl” if she did not go along with what he said.

Prosecutor Elizabeth Muir told Newcastle Crown Court Gill made a series of graphic demands to the child’s profile, which included him encouraging her to have oral sex with a stranger while he listened over the phone, committing a sex act with a hair brush and having sex with her dog.

Gill, of Calthwaite Close, Sunderland, admitted attempting to incite a child to engage in sexual activities. He was jailed for 16 months with a sexual harm prevention order and sex offender registration for ten years.

Paul Robson:

Former cage fighter Paul Robson was jailed for life with a minimum of 35 years for murdering his ex partner and attempting to murder a teenage boy.

Robson was also convicted of blackmailing his victim, teacher Caroline Kayll.

Newcastle Crown Court heard how Robson and Caroline began a love affair after meeting at HMP Northumberland where Caroline was working as a teacher and prison officer while Robson was an inmate.

Their relationship continued after Robson’s release. But the affair ended in brutal violence when Robson murdered 47-year-old Caroline at her home, and tried to kill the 15-year-old boy she was with.

Robson punched and kicked her head, leaving her with 60 injuries before mutilating her – hacking off her hair, slashing her buttocks and squirting her with ammonia, the jury heard.

The 50-year-old, of Stanley Street in Howdon, Wallsend, then turned on the blameless schoolboy, pinned him down and repeatedly stabbed him in the back with scissors, then attacked with a kitchen knife and meat cleaver.

The boy survived the attack, but Caroline died in hospital two days later.


Gemma Hornsby and Clare Cann:

Gemma Hornsby lured the student to her flat, injured him with a knife, stole his belongings and held him for six hours with the help of Clare Cann
Gemma Hornsby lured the student to her flat, injured him with a knife, stole his belongings and held him for six hours with the help of Clare Cann

Two women high on drugs held a student captive at knifepoint for six hours and threatened to murder him in a terrifying ordeal.

The victim had encountered Gemma Hornsby once previously but had no idea what she was capable of when she got in touch and asked to meet him at a pub near St James’ Park.

She took him to her flat in Arthurs Hill, Newcastle, around 10pm, where Clare Cann was also present.

The victim, originally from Lithuania, told her he didn’t like knives and she put it away but then asked if he had any money.

Paul Reid, prosecuting, said: “She went to the kitchen and came back with a much larger kitchen knife and started stabbing at him saying ‘I swear to God I will put this thing through you, I’ve done it before’.

“He was very frightened and gave her £20.”

He made towards the kitchen but was ordered to sit down by Hornsby.

She asked for his phone and when he refused, she threatened him again with the knife and he handed it over.

Hornsby took his bank cards and when he said there was no money, she said she would go and check.

She gave Cann the knife and told her to keep him there until she got back from the cashpoint.

The victim eventually persuaded Cann to let him go but as he was about to flee, Hornsby came back.

Hornsby inflicted small cuts to his neck and shoulder by pressing the knife onto him.

She left again, giving Cann the knife and telling her if she helped him, she would kill her too.

Cann told the victim he should tackle Hornsby and that she would not stop him if he did but then she came back with a man.

The man released the victim around 4am, warning him if he went to the police he would end up dead.

Hornsby, 35, previously of Tamworth Road, Arthurs Hill, and Cann, 35, of Westgate Hill, Newcastle, both admitted false imprisonment. Hornsby also admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm and theft in relation to the offence, which happened in June 2017.

Cann admitted a separate offence of robbery after appearing to befriend a lone drunk woman in Newcastle city centre on June 2019, linking arms with her, saying they were going to a party then snatching her handbag near Swan House roundabout.

Hornsby was jailed for three years and two months and Cann was locked up for two years and eight months.

Reece Nixon:

Reece Nixon
Reece Nixon

Thug Reece Nixon repeatedly punched a man and stole his mobile phone at a Metro station.

The incident happened after he and the victim both got off a train at Fellgate Metro Station in Jarrow.

The victim attempted to get away via a lift at the station but Nixon followed him and began punching him again in a sustained attack.

The 24-year-old was arrested later that day, Sunday April 24, 2019, on suspicion of robbery. During a search of Nixon’s home, officers found the victim’s mobile phone.

Nixon, of Prendwick Court, Hebburn, was jailed for nine months after pleading guilty to ABH and theft at Newcastle Crown Court.

He was also sentenced to an additional 15 months imprisonment as part of a separate investigation.


David Sorlie:

David Sorlie

This savage rapist subjected a terrified mum to a brutal attack after forcing his way into her home during a power cut while her children were upstairs.

Violent sex offender David Sorlie pushed his victim to the ground and bit her ears and lip as he raped her in November 2019.

The manipulative 35-year-old was found him guilty of rape and assault charges by a jury at Newcastle Crown Court

Sorlie, of Nailsworth Close, Boldon Colliery, South Tyneside, who has previous for serious violent offending, including wounding and robberies, was jailed for 12-and-a-half years with an extended licence period.

As well as the prison sentence, he will be subject to a lifelong restraining order banning him from contacting the victim or going to her street.

Michael and Victoria Hetherington:

Michael and Victoria Hetherington
Michael and Victoria Hetherington

This vile couple bit and spat on security staff and police while pretending to have Covid during a supermarket rampage.

Married menaces Michael and Victoria Hetherington, who have more than 300 convictions between them, brought terror to the aisles of Sainsbury’s.

The pair, both repeat shoplifters, were barred from every store in the North East but turned up at the branch in Team Valley, Gateshead.

When told they were not welcome, they kicked off, with Michael Hetherington chasing security guards around the shop, biting one on the hand and hitting a retired woman doing her shopping with a bottle of Dettol. The police turned up and he told them he had Covid and coughed at one officer, while Victoria Hetherington tried to headbutt another and spat in another officer’s face.

Newcastle Crown Court heard it was on January 5 that the couple went to the shop.

Michael said he wanted some methadone from the pharmacy and when told they didn’t provide it he began swearing and issuing threats that his dad would come and kill them all.

He also threatened to tear the shop to bits and knock out the security guard.

Victoria then came back in and told him to leave but as they did so he picked up a bottle of bleach and tried to remove the lid before kicking the glass in the automatic door, causing- damage which cost £500 to repair, the court was told.

Hetherington then told his wife to ‘nut’ a police officer and they shouted several times that they had Covid.

He then coughed in the face of a PC with his face mask only covering his chin.

Victoria then swung towards an officer, narrowly missing their face then spat in the face of another PC.

The victim was left worried and upset that he was unable to fulfil his role as his 91-year-old gran’s carer due to fears he may have contracted the virus.

Michael Hetherington, 35, of Heatherwell Green, Felling, Gateshead, who has 128 previous convictions, pleaded guilty to affray, assault by beating of the lady struck with the Dettol bottle, damaging property, assaulting an emergency worker and assault by beating on the security guard he bit. He was jailed for 18 months.

Victoria Hetherington, 35, of the same address, who has 217 previous convictions, admitted two offences of assaulting an emergency worker and six counts of theft of alcohol and dresses worth more than £3,500 from shops in Washington, Durham and Sunderland. She was jailed for 12 months.


Stephen Keen:

Serial burglar Stephen Keen, who has more than 20 convictions for raiding homes, was caught by the shape of his ear.

Time and time again, Keen has broken into houses, leaving behind a trail of anguish and distress.

The professional intruder’s latest victims were a couple with three children who live in Jesmond, Newcastle.

Having waited until the house on Northumberland Gardens was empty, he forced entry and put the deadlock on the front door to stop them getting back in if they returned.

The man of the house did return and Keen fled empty-handed but Newcastle Crown Court heard the burglary left the children and their mum so afraid they all slept in the same room while the man was working a night shift.

Keen was identified as the culprit after leaving an ear print on a window.

Now the 51-year-old, who has received the standard “three strike burglar” sentence of 876 days – three years minus credit for plea – numerous times before, has been given the same sentence again.

Keen, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to burglary and a separate charge of affray in a bail hostel.

He was falsely accused of stabbing someone and when police turned up he locked himself in his room and shouted threats during a stand-off.

Abigail Robinson:

Vile Abigail Robinson caused horrific injuries to a toddler – including bruising all over his body and bleeding on the brain.

The defenceless child was unconscious and struggling to breathe when paramedics were called.

On the way to hospital, bruising started to develop above his left eye and he was found to have a significant head injury with bleeding on the brain and a blood clot between the brain and skull.

Newcastle Crown Court heard his condition deteriorated at hospital and he had to be helped to breathe through a tube and have surgery to remove part of his skull to allow his brain to swell without causing pressure.

Christopher Rose, prosecuting, said: “There were injuries to almost every part of his body.

“His top lip was torn and he had bruising to his ears, neck, chest, abdomen, arms, thighs, buttocks, back and his toe nails, suggesting they had been stamped on or subjected to some crushing force. None of them could have been accidental.

“There was bruising to the small of his back and it’s difficult to see how that could have been accidentally caused.”

Mr Rose said the nature of the head injury was “more consistent with his head having been struck by a moving object while stationary” than being pushed or thrown to the ground.

“Effectively a deliberate blow with an object,” he added.

The toddler, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, also had bite marks but prosecutors accepted they could not be attributed to Robinson, who blamed another child for them.

Robinson, 30, of Whitley Bay, who initially gave untruthful accounts of what had happened, pleaded guilty to causing serious physical harm to a child.

She also admitted a separate charge of child cruelty after failing to get medical help when the toddler was injured previously.

The court heard the toddler has made a good recovery.

Robinson was sentenced to five years and one month in prison.


Anthony Burn:

Prolific child rapist Anthony Burn targeted schoolgirls during an abuse campaign lasting almost 40 years.

All his victims were under the age of 16 when they were attacked.

Burn began abusing one of the victims in Northumberland in the early 80s and repeatedly raped her for two years.

He then began repeatedly abusing two other victims over a two-year period.

And in the early 90s, Burn who is originally from Northumberland, then began a campaign of abuse on two further victims, repeatedly attacking one of them over a period of 16 years.

When one of the victims spoke out in 2018 an investigation was launched by Northumbria Police.

Enquiries led detectives to Cambridgeshire, where Burn had relocated in the early 2000s.

In 2020, a report was made to Cambridgeshire Police where a victim had been raped on several occasions and named Anthony Burn as the suspect. Burn was also named as the offender in another rape case whereby the victim was repeatedly attacked for a period of seven years. All in similar circumstances to the Northumbria victims.

Burn, of Sycamore Drive in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, pleaded guilty to twelve charges of rape and one charge of assault by penetration.

He was jailed for life with a minimum term of 15 years.

He must also sign on to the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

Kenneth Woods:

Kenneth Woods subjected his former partner to a horrific attack

Dangerous domestic violence bully Kenneth Woods left his petrified ex-partner looking “like the Elephant Man” with a shocking attack.

The 40-year-old, who has a long history of abusing women and ignoring court orders imposed to protect them, launched a sustained attack using kicks, stamps and punches on Tammy Parker in her own home.

She said she looked like “the Elephant Man” after the attack.

A court heard Woods, of Byker, Newcastle, had been released from prison for an earlier assault on her just weeks before and ignored a restraining order by visiting her.

Woods, of no fixed address but who was living in Byker, near his victim, pleaded guilty to GBH with intent and breaching a restraining order.

He was jailed for six years with an extended licence period of a further four years as a judge decided he should be categorised as dangerous.

The court heard he has 38 previous convictions, including for breaching restraining orders and a non-molestation order in relation to a previous partner.


Connor Bowern:

Connor Bowern, who has been jailed for assaulting his girlfriend
Connor Bowern, who has been jailed for assaulting his girlfriend

This violent brute has been jailed after he tried to strangle his pregnant partner and threatened to “kick their baby out of her”.

Connor Bowern was in a drunken rage when he launched the attack in front of their six-month-old son.

After slapping, hitting and punching the terrified victim, the 25-year-old bully put his hands around her neck and squeezed so hard she thought she was going to die, Newcastle Crown Court was told.

The assault started in a taxi after a family gathering and continued inside his girlfriend’s Blyth home until she managed to flee and ask a neighbour to phone the police.

The victim was left with pain to her throat, scratches and redness to her neck and a lump on her head.

Bowern, who was living in Blyth at the time but has now moved to Rosehaugh Road, in Inverness, Scotland, was arrested but bailed with conditions that he was not to contact his partner or visit her home.

However, he bombarded the woman with more than 300 messages, some apologising but others threatening, prosecutors said.

Bowern pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and harassment.

He was jailed for 14 months.

Jordan Chapman:

Jordan Chapman who has been jailed for robbery

Brandishing a knife, he subjected a young bookmakers worker to a terrifying robbery ordeal.

But armed raider Jordan Chapman apologised to his victim after forcing him to hand over cash from the safe and till.

Newcastle Crown Court heard how the employee was working alone at the Ladbrokes betting shop, in Benwell, Newcastle, when hooded Chapman targeted it, shortly before closing time.

The court heard how he demanded money while revealing a knife hidden in his sleeve.

Chapman followed the worker as he went behind the counter and opened the cash drawer before standing back, the court was told.

After helping himself to £300 in cash, Chapman ordered the worker to open the second cash drawer.

He then opened the safe and Chapman stole a further £500.

Chapman then apologised to the worker and said he had not meant to scare him.

The 27-year-old, of Chatton Street in East Howdon, Wallsend, pleaded guilty to robbery and was jailed for six years.


Conna Hardy:

Conna Hardy, who stabbed his gran in the hand with a fork

Conna Hardy left his gran with a fork deeply embedded in her hand after stabbing her during a dinnertime row.

Hardy had a history of abusing his gran and had called her a “slave b***h” and thrown a plate at her the day before the attack.

As Hardy and other members of the family were eating dinner at the victim’s home in Whitley Bay, he took a piece of food out of his mouth and put it on his teenage sister’s plate, Newcastle Crown Court was told.

His gran put it back on his plate but then Hardy put it back on his sister’s plate and a row blew up.

The court heard the 19-year-old then made a concerted effort to stab his gran in the palm with a fork and eventually succeeded.

Hardy, of Cliffe Court, Whitley Bay, pleaded guilty to wounding.

He was locked him up for 15 months and given an indefinite restraining order.

Daniel McKeith:

Daniel McKeith
Daniel McKeith

A dad was “lucky to have survived” after being stabbed by Daniel McKeith as he tried to stop a fight.

The victim suffered a punctured lung and sliced bowel which required emergency life-saving surgery.

And he continues to suffer after the horrific attack in South Shields earlier this year.

Now McKeith has been jailed for 43 months.

Newcastle Crown Court heard that McKeith brandished a blade after a row about a party that was being held in a flat above in the early hours of April 3.

After remonstrating with the partygoers on South Frederick Street in South Shields, the dispute between him and two men turned violent – before McKeith pulled out a knife and stabbed a third male who had bravely run over to break up the fight.

McKeith initially denied he had used a knife and claimed he had been set upon by a group of men.

But the 37-year-old, previously of South Frederick Street, South Shields, but now of Condercum Road, Newcastle, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and possessing an offensive weapon when he appeared at court.


Paul Drewery:

Paul Drewery, who sexually assaulted girls in South Tyneside

Three girls were left traumatised after being targeted in a spate of sex attacks by this drunk groper.

Paul Drewery left the youngsters terrified after molesting one in Asda, one crossing a road and trying to sexual assault a third in a park.

A court heard the girls all fell victim to the 46-year-old in the space of a few hours.

Drewery, who has no previous convictions, was extremely drunk when the offences happened.

Drewery, of Arran Drive, Jarrow, pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault and one of attempted sexual assault and was jailed for 12 months. He was also given a sexual harm prevention order and must register as a sex offender, for ten years.

Wayne Wilson:

Wayne Wilson was given a jail sentence at Newcastle Crown Court
Wayne Wilson was given a jail sentence at Newcastle Crown Court

This paedophile has been locked up for “appalling” sexual assaults on a young girl – and fleeing to the USA when he was under investigation.

Wayne Wilson assaulted the youngster on around six occasions over a year between 2014 and 2015.

His actions came to light after the child told her family and school teachers about the incidents.

It was also revealed at Newcastle Crown Court that, while he was under investigation for the offences, Wilson fled the UK and went to America in April 2018, where he used a false name and documents to hide his identity.

Northumbria Police made inquiries after he failed to turn up for a probation appointment and later found that he had been stopped in a vehicle by officers in Kansas, where he was detained for immigration offences.

Wilson was escorted back to the UK earlier this year and arrested at Heathrow Airport.

Now Wilson, 38, of no fixed abode, has been jailed for six years and two months after pleading guilty to the sexual assault of a girl under the age of 13 and breaching a notification order, which related to his travel to America.


Alexander Reeves and Nathan Ewart:

Nathan Ewart and Alexander Reeves jailed at Newcastle Crown Court for two robberies and an attempted robbery in Sunderland city centre
Nathan Ewart and Alexander Reeves jailed at Newcastle Crown Court for two robberies and an attempted robbery in Sunderland city centre

These savage city centre robbers singled out disabled and vulnerable people as easy prey – even beating one female victim with her crutch.

Bullies Alexander Reeves and Nathan Ewart picked on three victims in quick succession, leaving a trail of injury and fear.

One woman was pushed to the ground and repeatedly struck with her crutch, while a man was punched and kicked unconscious.

Now privately-educated Reeves and partner-in-crime Ewart have each been jailed for more than five years at Newcastle Crown Court.

Their crime spree took place in Sunderland city centre between 7pm and 8pm on August 10 this year.

The first victim was vulnerable due to a muscle-wasting disorder, which means he struggles to walk and requires two sticks.

He was talking to his friend when he was approached by the intoxicated thugs.

Ewart demanded his cigarettes then threatened to “kick those sticks up your ****”.

The victim was then punched and the pair demanded his money and when he said he didn’t have any, they tried to grab his shopping bag.

A member of the public came over and said she was calling police and they left.

A female acquaintance of Reeves, who was vulnerable due to the fact she was using two crutches, was the next victim.

The pair demanded money from her and she was pushed to the ground, and Reeves took one of her crutches and hit her around five times with it.

Some £35 fell from her pocket during the attack and was stolen.

The area was busy at the time and the attack ended when a security guard intervened.

The victim suffered numerous injuries to her back, where the skin was broken and was bleeding due to the force of the blows with the crutch.

The final victim was walking in the city centre when he was attacked from behind, with Ewart punching him in the face and knocking him to the ground.

Omar Ahmad, prosecuting, said: “Reeves punched him while he was on the ground then kicked him twice to his head.”

The victim lost consciousness and came round to see the pair running off.

He suffered a broken nose and a gashed head. Reeves and Ewart stole his carrier bag, containing a soft drink, sandwich and cigarettes.

Reeves, 33, of no fixed address, who has 40 previous convictions and Ewart, 31, of no fixed address, both admitted two robberies and one attempted robbery and were each jailed for five years and three months

Karl Cain:

Karl Cain, who admitted causing racially aggravated fear or provocation of violence

This racist lout threatened to throw a three-year-old on to train tracks after being asked to stop spouting foul abuse in Newcastle city centre.

Karl Cain was saying vitriolic words, including “they should all die” at passers-by who were Asian and black when he was challenged by a dad who was with his young child. But when asked to modify his behaviour, which took place on a Friday morning in October at Monument Metro station, he turned nasty, saying: “I will chuck your f****** bairn on the tracks”.

The dad decided to report Cain to staff then saw him trying to force his way through barriers. Metro staff ended up asking an off-duty police officer to help as Cain was drunk, aggressive, swearing and clenching his fists.

Newcastle Crown Court heard he wanted to go to Sunderland but didn’t have enough money so the PC kindly bought him a ticket before escorting him to the platform. “But he kept behaving abusively, saying to a black man ‘you black f****** are all going to die’,” prosecutor Michael Bunch said.

Cain then said he was going to walk on the tracks and the officer went back upstairs and told staff to call the police. The 41-year-old, of Victoria Road, Shotton Colliery, County Durham, pleaded guilty to causing racially aggravated fear or provocation of violence.

Cain, who has 213 previous convictions, including another racially aggravated offence, was jailed for 12 weeks but will be released immediately having served half of that period on remand.


Dean Wilkinson:

Dean Wilkinson, jailed for a rooftop stand-off

A thug who staged a rooftop siege lasting almost 50 hours caused thousands of pounds of damage, injured a fireman and wasted the time of two-thirds of Newcastle’s police officers.

Dean Wilkinson climbed onto the roof of a house and sparked a stand-off after police turned up to arrest him.

For two days and two nights he refused to come down and threw roof tiles at police officers, firefighters, their vehicles and the homes and cars of residents.

A court heard he caused more than £30,000 of damage, including writing off two cars and smashing house windows and left a firefighter having to take three weeks off work due to being injured by one of the missiles he threw.

Wilkinson, 31, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to affray, causing a public nuisance, having an offensive weapon and assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was jailed for two years. Read the full report here.

Brennan Bryan:

A man suffered a serious stab wound after the son of the woman he was having sex with “barged” into the room and threw a knife at him.

Brennan Bryan “snapped” after finding his mum in bed with a man in the early hours of August 1 and armed himself with a blade.

The 22-year-old then “hoyed” the knife at the man, causing a stab wound to his abdomen which later required some of his small bowel to be removed.

Bryan, of West Chilton Terrace, Chilton, Ferryhill, appeared at Durham Crown Court to be sentenced for wounding after pleading guilty to the charge. He was jailed for two years. The full story is here.

For daily news from the North East’s courts direct to your inbox, go here to sign up to our free court newsletter


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *