Jack Lis death: Two in court over dog that killed boy ‘days after biting other people’

Two people have appeared in court following a dog’s fatal mauling of a boy. One of the pair is accused of involvement in two other dog attacks from the same week.

Jack Lis died aged 10 after being attacked by a dog called Beast on November 8 last year at a friend’s house in Pentwyn in Penyrheol, Caerphilly. Court documents describe the animal as a “large bulldog”.

Brandon Hayden, 19, of Pen Y Bryn in Penyrheol, and Amy Salter, 28, of Llanfabon Drive in Trethomas, appeared at Newport Magistrates’ Court on Thursday. Both are accused of being in charge of a dangerously out of control dog which caused the injury resulting in Jack Lis’ death.

Read next:Music legend slapped in racist attack in Welsh seaside town

Hayden is accused of five other offenses all— all connected to Beast. Three of those charges allege he was in charge of a dangerously out of control dog on November 4 near Top Shops in Heol Aneurin. Another alleges he was in charge of a dangerously out of control dog which injured Michael Ball on the same day and at the same place. The final count accuses him of being in charge of a dangerously out of control dog on November 7 – the day before the killing of Jack Lis. On that occasion the dog injured Sian Sullivan near Top Shops, according to court documents.



Jack Lis

Prosecutor Nathan Fear said: “On November 4 there were three incidents that took place, where the dog has jumped up at individuals and been aggressive to people. There was a further offense on that date where Michael Ball was leaving Top Shops and as he walked past Beast the dog has jumped up and bitten him. “

Mr Fear said Beast attacked a woman called Sian Sullivan on November 7 also outside Top Shops. The dog took hold of her hoodie and bit her causing injuries to her stomach, the court heard.

The next day Jack Lis was standing near the door of an address linked to Salter when the dog jumped onto him and caused fatal injuries, Mr Fear told the court.

Neither defendant entered a plea on Thursday. They spoke only to confirm their name, age, and address. Presiding Justice Richard Morris adjourned the case to May 5 at Newport Crown Court. You can read more of the latest news from Welsh courts here.

Leave a Comment