‘Incredible’ student, 20, died after taking MDMA and ketamine at Warehouse Project

A ‘charismatic and loveable’ 20-year-old student died after having an ‘adverse reaction’ to MDMA and ketamine at the Warehouse Project, an inquest heard.

James Diss, who had traveled to the Mayfield Depot venue from his home in Newmarket in Suffolk, fell ill immediately after taking the drugs.

He was taken to the Manchester Royal Infirmary but tragically died in the early hours of September 25 last year.

An inquest into his death opened at Manchester Coroner’s Court today (February 24).

READ MORE: Doctors shocked after tests reveal ‘strange and unusual’ cause of uni graduate’s death in Northern Quarter flat

Police coroner’s officer Paul Devine said in a statement: “The circumstances of Mr Diss’ death were he visited Manchester on September 24 to attend a concert at the Warehouse Project, where he was believed to have consumed drugs.

“He immediately suffered an adverse reaction and he was taken to the Manchester Royal Infirmary where sadly, despite treatment, he died on September 25.”

Mr Diss visited Manchester to go to the Warehouse Project

A tribute for Mr Diss from his sister Emily, who was shared with the BUT by his family after the hearing, described him as a being ‘loved by everyone’.

She said: “James was the most incredible person I’ve met in my entire life, I could not have asked for a better brother.

“As a person he was loved by everyone, the most incredible, charismatic, lovable boy and the biggest angel.

“There are not enough words to explain how amazing he was.”

The inquest heard how Mr Diss’ family – including his dad Andrew who attended the hearing over a video link – rushed to Manchester from Suffolk after being told he was in hospital.

Detective Inspector Wein said in a statement that Mr Diss was only in hospital ‘for a short period of time’ before he tragically died.

“There were a number of other young people there, some of whom were arrested on suspicion of being in possession or supplying Class A drugs”, the statement added.

After the incident, Greater Manchester Police said that a 20-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply Class A drugs.

Two men, aged 23 and 22, and a 21-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of possession of Class A drugs.

In an update issued on September 30 last year, the force said all four people had been released under investigation after questioning.

Consultant forensic toxicologist Julie Evans found that Mr Diss died from drug toxicity due to the use of MDMA, also known as ecstasy, combined with ketamine use.

Nigel Meadows, senior coroner for Manchester, adjourned his full inquest until April 12 this year.

Following the incident, a spokesperson from The Warehouse Project said: “We are devastated and our condolences are with the individual’s family and friends.

“We are working closely with the Greater Manchester authorities to help with inquiries at this stage.”

On the evening of the incident, the Manchester city center club was hosting the Metropolis drum and bass and jungle night headlined by DJs Andy C, Friction and Sub Focus.

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sports, news, what’s on and more by following this link

Leave a Comment