Jnews is about news!

Husband’s dying wishes after incurable cancer diagnosis aged 30 – a year after marrying wife

A husband diagnosed with terminal cancer at the young age of 30 and only a year after his wedding hopes to live out his long-held dreams in his final months. Adam Raszka said “there’s still things I want to do” as he told how the aggressive and rare cancer returned, even after battling through extensive surgery and intensive chemotherapy.

The 32-year-old has been through multiple cycles of cancer treatment, but it cannot save his life – the chemotherapy will only buy him more time to spend with his loved ones. Adam and his wife Dorota, who have been together 14 years, are now hoping to “enjoy what remains of his life” as they added, “every day is very precious”.

They hope to be able to afford short UK breaks and perhaps a trip to Iceland, but with Adam currently unable to work and on benefits, money is tight. His wife has launched a GoFundMe page with a target of £ 3,000 to help her partner live out his days to the fullest – you can donate here.

Read more: Tragedy of ‘amazing’ Solihull teenager who was found dead after bike ride

“There’s still a few things I want to do,” he told BirminghamLive, speaking from his Birmingham city center flat where he lives with his wife.

“I was initially hoping to go for a few days to Wales on motorbikes and then Scotland as well because there’s a really nice route, 500 miles around the coast. I always wanted to do that, it’s not far but it still costs.” at the moment I’m on benefits. With the GoFundMe, now I can. “

Adam Raszka has been battling cancer since his diagnosis aged 30

Adam was diagnosed with an extremely rare and aggressive type of sarcoma cancer in August 2020 – around a year after his wedding. After surviving for 19 months after the diagnosis, he now believes he only has months left to live.

The cancer was identified after he attended hospital for a check up for a “tender and painful” cyst on his groin that did not disappear with anti-biotics. Though the growth was not a result of the cancer, the terminal disease was spotted when scans were carried out.

“I went to the hospital with something completely different which did not happen to be anything serious. They found the cancer after examining me. Some of my lymph nodes in my groin area were swollen,” he recalled from the diagnosis.

Adam Raszka and Dorota on their wedding day, around a year before his terminal diagnosis

“It was just a cyst. But if not that I would not know I had got it and it would have got even worse. I had a scan the next day they said it was most likely lymphoma.

“But I had scans and they said it was quite widespread as well through my abdomen area. One of the biggest tumors then was 12cm long.

“I had to wait a bit more for a proper diagnosis and treatment because it’s a very, very rare type of cancer.”

The diagnosis came around a month after, and the treatment began within two months. He added that the cancer is very rare, with only “around 200 cases” since it was first identified.

Speaking on the moment he was told it was terminal, Adam, a former office worker, added: “When I first met my oncologist I was told they would not be able to cure me. It was surreal, it’s not easy to describe.

“There’s no data really, usually people live for about eighteen months from the diagnosis. From the very beginning I knew it was not curable.

Adam Raszka lost all his hair during the treatment

“So all the treatments, all the chemo, all the surgeries are just to try to make it manageable.”

Despite undergoing intensive chemotherapy around two months after his diagnosis, which was as soon as possible, the treatment will no longer save his life. Having undergone 12 cycles and spent so much time at the city’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital, he now “knows everyone on the ward”.

Before his diagnosis he worked as an office worker for a company that sells toys online. But since the chemotherapy, work has been “near impossible”.

The side effects of the chemotherapy mean he is often short of breath and extremely fatigued. “Some days I would just sit on the sofa doing nothing. There is not enough oxygen in my blood too,” he added.

“I would get very tired very quickly, at the worst point I could not even stand and wait for the kettle to boil because I would faint.”

In June last year, he was also involved in a motorbike crash – in which he was “sent flying into the air” and was left with “extensive bruising”. This came only days before his first of two surgeries to remove the cancer.

“I wanted to pass my motorbike test and I got hit by a car at a red light. I stopped at the red light but the driver behind me did not,” he said.

“He sent me flying in the air and wrote off the bike of course. The biggest injury is my back, it still hurts.”

Three days later, he had to undergo the smaller surgery in preparation of the Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) – a two-step procedure that treats certain cancers in the abdomen.

“I remember that was three days before small surgery before the big one. The crash did affect the healing process,” he said.

“They opened me up and cut out everything they could. I have a scar from my groin to my sternum.”

Adam has a scar from his groin to my sternum after the surgery

The surgery removed the two kilograms of tumor, along with a third of his large intestine. It was hoped Adam would be able to live a normal life following the procedure.

But only months later, the cancer had returned. “The surgery did remove everything but it came back after a while. I knew it would but hoped it would take a bit more time [to return] but it was just a matter of months, “he reflected.

“I was disappointed that it happened so early.”

After the cancer returned he had a choice to either “enjoy life while I can” or try a third attempt at chemotherapy. He is now undergoing the strong treatment, which will end after six cycles, with the hopes to give him more time.

“I do not even know if it’s going to work or not. I had a choice just enjoy while I can and do not take the chemo at all, or take it now and that’s it. It’s really hard, the doctor can ‘ t tell me how long I have left. “

To donate to the appeal, click here.

He continued: “The fundraiser has been amazing so far, far exceeded any of our expectations. The amount of love, messages and support has been enormous and honestly it’s not easy to cope with all the emotions that come with it, but at least there are positive emotions for a change. “

Do you have a story to tell? You can contact us by emailing stephanie.balloo@reachplc.com

Look back on the city from yesteryear with our Birmingham Weekly Nostalgia Email Updates.

We send out daily court and crime updates straight to our email inbox – sign up for them here.

Stay abreast with the very latest from our city with our Birmingham News Email Updates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *