Published on December 5, 2019
If you enrolled in Marketplace health insurance for 2019, you can renew, change, or update your plan for 2020 until Sunday, December 15, 2019. That’s less than 2 weeks away! If you miss the deadline, you may be automatically enrolled for 2020, but that’s not your best option.
Why update & compare for 2020 — even if you want to keep the same plan
- New, affordable plans may be available this year. Just like people, plans and prices change every year. You may find 2020 plans with coverage and features that better meet your needs, especially if you’ve had or expect income or household changes.
- Get the right amount of financial help for 2020. Savings are based on your expected income for 2020 (not 2019). If your information isn’t current, your premium tax credit and other savings could be wrong. This means you could end up paying more for your monthly premium or owing money on your federal taxes.
- Sometimes you won’t be automatically enrolled. You should enroll in an available plan by December 15, 2019 to be on the safe side.
How to change or renew 2020 coverage
- Log in to update your application with your expected 2020 income and household information.
- Compare your current plan with other available 2020 plans. If you want to keep your same plan, you should still update your information and check out all the plans available to you. If you don’t, you could miss out on savings and a plan that better meets your needs.
- Learn more about changing and renewing coverage for 2020.