EXCLUSIVE: HBO Max continues to build its international team and has made a key appointment to oversee the platform’s launch in Turkey.
The streamer has hired Baris Zavaroglu from Turkcell’s local OTT and pay-TV business TV +, where he was General Manager. Prior to TV +, he was CMO for Fox Turkey and worked for Disney in a senior leadership role for Eastern Europe and the MENA region.
Zavaroglu joins HBO as CEO of Turkey and will work on the rollout of HBO Max in the country later this year. He reports to Christina Sulebakk, General Manager, HBO Max EMEA and starts with immediate effect.
This year, HBO Max will be launched in a further 21 European territories, including Turkey. It currently lives in 46 territories in America and Europe.
Christina Sulebakk said: “Baris joins us at an important time as we prepare to launch and grow in a strategically important market. His expertise and leadership will prove to be invaluable as we seek to establish and build quickly in the country as part of our gradual rollout in Europe. “
Baris Zavaroglu added: “HBO Max is generating significant momentum as it rolls around the world with a deep and diverse content offering that is unlike anything else on the planet. It is an honor to be tasked with bringing the service to life in Turkey. “
The Streamer has also made a number of appointments to several teams across its European offices:
- Yoav Banai named VP Customer Experience EMEA. He was previously VP Customer Engagement at Deezer. Based in Amsterdam.
- Victor Eckard joins as SVP Content Experience from WaterBear Network, a VOD platform with backers, including ZDF Enterprises, where he was CEO. Based in Amsterdam.
- Stuart Brann joined in August as Head of Subscriber Acquisition from Disney, where he was Director, Performance Marketing & Subscriber Acquisition. Based in London.
- Tania Sutherland has been named Director, Brand & Content Marketing, Iberia. She joined from Netflix Spain, where she was Senior Marketing Manager. Based in Madrid.
- Jaime Terceiro joined in August as Content Analysis & Optimization Director. He came from Netflix, where he was Content Strategy & Analysis Manager. Based in Madrid.
- Quentin Carbonell Appointed Senior Marketing Planning Manager. Previously, was the founder and CEO of Q-Rate Consulting with clients, including MUBI and Acorn TV. Based in London.