Emilia Clarke is trying to help her fans navigate how they can best support the people of Ukraine and actually make a difference in what feels like a very overwhelming, helpless situation.
The actress shared a picture of herself on Instagram on Friday cradling her dachshund, Ted, both wearing matching t-shirts featuring a blue and yellow heart on the front meant to evoke the Ukrainian flag. “Ted and I are proud to stand with #Ukraine,” the Game of Thrones star began her post. “As are the incredible, beautiful crew from my latest project. These T-shirts were the most welcomed wrap gifts I’ve ever had the honor to give. ”
Clarke went on to say, “My heart is breaking along with so many others over the continued suffering, pain and heartbreak millions are living through in Ukraine. As the news comes in everyday it can feel overwhelming, not knowing how any one individual can make any difference to this shocking reality, but, here are a few ways to show your support and send some love. ” She then offered her followers a few ways that they can donate or help out to make a difference, including giving money to the Disasters Emergency Committee who are helping to “provide food, water, shelter and healthcare to refugees and displaced families.” And she added that if you are located in the US, “you can give to directrelief.org who are working to fulfill the medical needs of Ukraine’s health ministry.”
You can also help out while twinning with Clarke, Ted, and the crew of her new movie by buying the “insanely soft and comfy” t-shirt she’s wearing in the image made by “the ever magnificent and loving” artist Charlie Mackesy with all proceeds going to the nonprofit organization Choose Love. The actress also suggested picking up some “stunning” photos her “incredibly talented and dear friend” Jasper Fry that he took of Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital, in 2018. All proceeds from those sales will also go to four Ukraine-based charities. Clarke concluded her charitable message with the hashtags “#standwithukraine #standforlove.”
More Great Stories From Vanity Fair
– The Prince Andrew Trial That Wasn’t
– Jerry Lewis’s Costars Speak Out: “He Grabbed Me. He Began to Fondle Me. I Was Dumbstruck ”
– Monica Padman’s Moment Is Now
– The Week Los Angeles Ate the Art World
– Queen Elizabeth Tests Positive for COVID-19
– Why a Judge Wants a Closer Look at Ghislaine Maxwell’s Guilty Verdict
– Nine Books We Could Not Put Down This Month
– Vanity Fair‘s Hollywood Issue 2022: See the Full Portfolio Featuring Nicole Kidman, Kristen Stewart, and More
– 20 Best Face Exfoliators for Softer, Brighter Skin: Scrubs, Peels, and Toners
– From the Archive: Charles & Camilla, Coup of Hearts
– Sign up for “The Buyline” to receive a curated list of fashion, books, and beauty buys in one weekly newsletter.